How to Make a Halter Tutu Dress: Version 2

Posted on 13. Nov, 2008 by Trish in Tutorial

A little while back, I wrote a post on how to make a halter tutu dress. I showed how to make two layers by tying them one at a time.

Well, since then I have figured out how to make the two layers using one single knot.

First, criss-cross the two colors.

Then pull the ends of the same colors together.
Place the layer underneath the elastic, with the top color on top
(this is what it would look like on the back of the elastic)

Then tie the tulle in a square knot.

This is what it looks like on the back of the elastic.

If you want more detail instruction on how to make a halter tutu dress, make sure to check out my first post. This one is just an alternate way to make a layered dress. You don’t have to make one layer shorter than the other like I did in this tutu dress, but you can if you want. Some people like to use two different colors, like a pink and a white, and this will create those two separate colors, also making it a reversible tutu. One day you can wear it with the white on top, and another with the pink on top, for example. Or you could mix up the colors to make it look more subtle. I’m trying to make one with flowers too to show you what that would look like. Once again you can finish the top with a boa, flowers, or even ribbon.

Here is a reversible tutu I made, with dark pink on the top, and light pink on the bottom.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popularity: 78% [?]

Share and Enjoy:
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • Technorati
  • Yahoo! Bookmarks

88 Responses to “How to Make a Halter Tutu Dress: Version 2”

1. Caitlin

22. Apr, 2013

If you buy Elastic Crochet headband ribbon, which you can find at hobby lobby, you can make 3,4,5.6+ layered tutus (which is a little much, lol) with no sewing involved. The ribbon has layers of holes that you put the tulle through. So simple!! :)

2. Tiffany

16. Mar, 2013

My girlfriend and I had these for our girls and even thought they are very full you can still see thru them. Do you have any suggestions for how to line them easily? Thanks

3. toni

08. Mar, 2013

does anyone know how to make a tutu that has a basket weave for the top and a full bottom?

4. Keisha b.

02. Feb, 2013

I found this tutorial last year and made it into a 3 layer tutu by adding another color. Laid it next to what is the blue piece on the picture. Also made a double layer tutu using the tutorial instructions, but made one edge of each piece longer before tying for a different effect.

5. [...] I’m looking for the same thing. But have only found a two layer no sew tutorial. See link… http://www.sweetnsassygirls.com/2008/11/how-to-make-halter-tutu-dress-version-2.html [...]

6. somer

15. Aug, 2012

Love your tutorials…but I could not get the knot correct..:( can you post or show a more detailed pick of the knot and how you do it. Thanks!

7. Randi

25. Mar, 2012

Does any body know how to do a three layer tutu? I have looked and cannot find any tutuorials online!

8. Aigner

02. Mar, 2012

Can you please give details on how to make the reversible tutu. I am trying to make one for my 1year old for St. Patty’s Day. ;)

9. Rubin Deniz

10. Feb, 2012

Hello,

Truly amazing this steps to make Tutu dress.

Tutu dress gave a awesome look to my cute Angel. She is just 5 now. I think, for her next coming school function, such dress is perfect. She looks very pretty in this.

Thanks & Regards

10. Sara

01. Jan, 2012

A square knot…

Wrap the right piece over the left piece and pull through from the bottom. (Like you would to start tying your shoes) Then do the left over the right side and under.

I was taught a rhyme to remember how to tie a square knot…

Right over left and left over right makes a knot tidy and tight.